Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Scripture Time!

The ritual routine for bedtime at the Sohm household is getting teeth brushed, jammies, scriptures, prayers and writing down what Heavenly Father has helped us with for the day. Tonight we were doing these things and Eric was out delivering fliers so it was just me and the kids and it was a little crazy and fun. It seems that around 8:30 at night (of course bed time) Garrett and Camri get a little wild and giggle, run around, laugh and laugh and laugh some more and someone always ends up crying as well. At this time of night they always feed off of each other and just make each other laugh. Sometimes it gets really frustrating and I just do all I can to keep control and not get to upset.

Well this is kind of what happened tonight. Garrett was acting all goofy and pulling his shorts up so it was like a shirt (i should've taken a picture of that) and he was just saying goofy things and Camri was just laughing at him and I was trying to get him to come in and sit down for scriptures. Well the goofiness lasts for a few minutes as I'm trying to continue reading scriptures. I would get them to calm down and then they would just start laughing again. I told them ok this is your last chance and if you can't stop then we will not read scriptures tonight. (they really hate when I do that and they start crying and saying WE WANT TO READ!) Well they didn't calm down so I closed the book. Of course they were pretty upset and I told them if they could be reverent during prayer then we would read scriptures. So we tried the scriptures again and they were sitting so cute.



Camri was sitting like this and just kept looking at Garrett to see if he was going to start laughing (because as soon as he does she looses it) Then I looked at Garrett to see what he was doing (while I was still trying to read because I didn't want them to loose focus)...Garrett was sitting trying not to get a smirk on his face and looking from one side of the room to the other and not making eye contact with me or Camri. Well watching them I couldn't help it and I bet you can guess what I did......YES I started LAUGHING uncontrollable. Well Camri looks over at me and says, "Mom, you're not being reverent!" Oh my gosh, and the look on her face was so cute I couldn't even help it so I just starting laughing more!! I just told them you guys are so dang cute and I can't help it and then we ALL just started laughing. Yes, we all calmed down and finished reading and it was so cute that after all that they were really trying hard to sit and listen and not laugh.



As I sat there I thought of the many times that I've gotten upset with my kids and how frustrated I was because they wouldn't listen. Let me tell you how fun it was to just LAUGH with them!! If you haven't tried it you should!!

Honestly, how could you not laugh with these two...

2 comments:

Austin and Amy Day said...

Jenni, darling story! And your right about that. It's funny when you stop and think about all the times that we get upset with our kids and all they are really doing is being a kid and having fun. We need to try to remember to be more LIKE them. :)

Brittany said...

We have those moments all the time at our house. You are right it is so much better when you just laugh right along with them. Such a cute story!