Monday, April 2, 2012

What a morning??

WARNING: The picture is pretty graphic so if you are easy to get queasy don't look!:)

Our Monday morning did not go how we planned.  Garrett woke up saying his throat hurt and he has been complaining for awhile so I decided to take him and made the appointment for 10:30.  Around 9:00 the kids were downstairs eating breakfast and I heard Madison crying pretty hard.  Garrett yelled and said Madison bit her tongue.  Apparently, she was on the counter and when she got down hit her chin on the granite and bit down on her tongue.  When I came down there was blood dripping everywhere and there was a pool of blood in her mouth.  I tried to wipe it up as good as I could but still couldn't tell how bad the cut was.  I called the pediatrician and she said to bring right in and just bring Garrett as well.  I was thinking to my self, I don't think they usually stitch up tongues.  But it  looked really bad so I thought I would just take her in.  

The doctor looked at her and said that luckily she didn't bite all the way through her tongue and it looked really good.  He told me a few things to do gave her some ibuprofen and we went on our way.
A little after I got home it wasn't looking very good and I was pretty sure it looked worse than when we were at the doctor.  I called a few different people and tried primary childrens and decided to take her back into the doctor.  

As soon as he saw her he was like, Oh no it did not look this bad when she was here earlier.  He made a call to Primary Children's and the ER doctor there said that they have done procedures in the past to stitch it up and it doesn't seem very affective and it is miserable for the patient.  They said that it will heal on his own in a few days.  My doctor told the Er doctor, I can fit a pencil eraser inside the wound, she will get food stuck in there and it looks worse than when I saw it earlier.  The ER doctor didn't seemed worried and said it would heal on it's own.

So with that said, we saved a trip to the ER and a lot of money!!
Leave it up to one of my kids to injure their TONGUE of all things!!

Here is her wound:




2 comments:

Courtney said...

OUCH!!!!! That looks awful! Glad she's ok and hope it heals quickly!

More News at the Funny Farm said...

My 21 year old son, when he was about 2 1/2 put a pen through his soft pallet of the roof of his mouth and wondered about that too. But within 12 hours a small seal had covered the hole. The mouth heals amazingly, through all my years I have only seen a few tongues stitched and they were almost all the way off! Good luck!! It's amazing what the mouth can do!
Sharynn Moore