Friday, September 9, 2011

What a night!!

I am sitting in the hospital right now and I thought this would be a perfect time to write down the events of our night last night.  It's going to be a long one so bear with me....

It started just before 7:00 Garrett and Camri went out to ride bikes and scooters (don't know why I let Camri ride that dumb thing)  Eric and I were inside just hanging around playing with Boston and all of the sudden I heard Camri screaming bloody murder!!  As soon as I heard her cry I knew that she had broken her arm.  Just a little background I broke my arm 4 times when I was younger and my mom had just told me a couple months ago that she knew we had broke our arm as soon as she heard our cry.  At that moment I knew right away how my mom knew that.  It is just a different cry and I guess when you're a mom you just have those instincts and know what is wrong with your child.  Camri walked in the house and of course she comes walking around the corner holding her arm at her side.  Eric and I both looked at each other and knew that it was probably broken.  Eric talked to her for a few minutes and tried to have her move her arm.  After a few minutes Eric picked her up and put her in the car.

While he was doing that the phone rang and it was my neighbor Jodi.  She started to ask me if Garrett had ever had a nurse maid elbow (dislocated elbow). I said yes, Why?  One of our neighbors little boys had been at baseball and they were pretty sure that he had the nurse maid elbow.  Her husband knows how to fix it but of course he was out of town.  She asked me if Eric knew how to fix it.  I told her yes, he did but he was actually on his way to the urgent care with Camri with a good chance that she had a broken arm.  I told her that I knew how to fix it as well so she said she would send her over.  Sue came over and I fixed her sons arm (too bad I couldn't just twist my daughters arm back), she said the same thing.  So she was off with her son who was a lot happier camper but Eric was still off to Urgent Care with Camri.

After a long wait at Urgent Care they came to the conclusion that it was broken and that she would most likely need to go to Primary Children's.  He said it was a really bad break for a girl her age and sent her x-ray up to Primary's.  Sure enough they wanted to see her tonight.

Eric came home to get a few things to entertain him while he was at Primary's and change his clothes.  Camri was sitting in the car and with tears in her eyes and trying not to cry said, "Mom, I want you to come with us."  Of course with that it just made my heart melt!!  Eric's mom came over and my sister in law also came a little later so Eric's mom could get more rest  and we were headed to Primary's.

The doctor's told us that her  break was pretty bad and that she was going to get 2 pins, and possibly a screw put in but they would have to admit us and wait until morning to do the surgery.  Eric went home to be with our other kids and was going to come back in the morning before Camri went into surgery.

We finally got into our room at around 1:30 AM and then had to wait for Camri to get an IV hooked up. She was so thirsty but couldn't drink until after surgery.  I was trying to get her to feel better about getting the IV in and told her that after the IV was in it would help make her not feel as thirsty and they could put medicine in through it.  About 5 minutes after it was in she was crying and squirming around and said, "Mom, it's not working, I'm still really thirsty."  So cute!!

After that was all done she still wanted to watch TV, I thought to myself how can she not be exhausted.  I asked her if she wanted to go to bed and she said, No, the TV helps me go to sleep.:)

Around 4:00 she woke up crying in pain, she got some pain medicine and then slept until about 7:00 when they came to get her for surgery.  She was so brave!!

After surgery the doctor came in to talk to us and told us that she had fractured this arm before.  Yes, I was shocked because when she broke her arm 5 months ago it was her right arm and now it was her left.  Pretty much the doctor was telling us that she had broke her arm before and we had no idea!!  The surgery went well and she had 3 pins put in.  She will have the cast for 3-4 weeks and then if it is healed she will get the cast off and the pins taken out.

The doctor said, with her only being 5 years old and having 3 fractures it is pretty rare especially one of them with us not even knowing. (no they are not sending DCFS after us, so we think)  She asked if anyone in the family has had any bone problems.  My sister was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago.  She said after her arm is healed she wants to do a dexa scan to check her bones and just see if everything is okay. So after all this we will be in for more tests.  I mentioned to a few of the doctors that we would be throwing her scooter away.  After it was all said and done and she was out of surgery I asked her if I really shouldn't let her ride her scooter next summer.  She said, we will wait and see how all the tests go. I really didn't think that when Camri was 5 years old I was going to ground her from her scooter for the rest of her life.  I guess we will have to wait and see!!

We are sitting with her in her room right now and she seems to be doing really well.  She has been eating a really yummy raspberry lemonade slushy (they let the mom's have one too).  She is asleep now and they are saying that we will hopefully be out of here by noon.

Thank you everyone for your calls, text and concerns!! Thank you everyone that helped with our kids! It really means a lot!!  We really do feel so blessed to have such great family and friends that we know can help us when we need it!!  Pictures to come soon!

4 comments:

Church Fam said...

Oh Jenni that is not a fun night. So sorry. Hope she recovers well.

Marianne said...

Wow! Brave little Camri! You know, I was diagnosed with osteopoenia too (at least in my hips), and it's not really as scary as it sounds. I'm sure Camri is just fine! I think it's a doctor's job to scare us half the time. ;) Hope you get some rest!

Angela said...

Hope things are better for you guys...wow what a crazy scary night.. you have one tough little girl... keep us updated.xoxx

Prilla said...

Holy cow! What a brave girl! good luck!