Tuesday, August 4, 2009

First Day of School

Garrett started Kindergarten today!! I can't believe he actually going to school everyday. He was so excited to start school. He was a little bummed when I informed him that he wouldn't be riding the bus since we live like 1.3 miles from the school and you have to live 1.5 to be able to ride the bus. He was still excited that Mom and Dad were able to drive him to school. Garrett is the type of boy that would wear a t-shirt and basketball shorts 24/7 no matter where he was going. Well we have been having many discussions lately about him not being able to wear his basketball shorts to school. So this morning I asked him to get dressed for school and of course he had his basketball shorts on and this is how the converstaion followed:

Garrett: Mom, can I wear these shorts to school?
Mom: Garrett, no you can't wear basketball shorts to school. (usually at this point on other occasions he has a complete meltdown and says, Why I can't I wear what I want? Why do I have to wear cute clothes?)
Garrett: ok!!

HOLY COW!! Garrett actually didn't throw a fit!!! He came upstairs with me and I got his shorts out and then he picked his shirt. I told him that he needed to wear his hair spiky today (which he usually only lets ERic or I do on Sunday for church) Then Garrett says he doesn't want to wear his hair spiky. I told him that he was going to and left it at that. Meanwhile I put Madison in the bath and Garrett comes in and says look mom...I look over and he already had put gel in his hair and was doing his hair spiky. He went to my bathroom and started blow drying it like his dad always does. He did such a good job and was so cute about it!! He was so proud of being able to do his hair by himself. What a cute kid!!

The traditional picture in front of the door on the first day of school. Also, notice Garrett's spiky hair that he did himself.



Garrett and Kade



Garrett had a great day on his first day of kindergarten. When I dropped him off I took a few pictures of him and then he was like ok, bye mom. He wasn't hesitant at all to be on his own.

11 comments:

The Godell Family said...

I can't believe that school has already started for you guys. We don't start until Sept 8th. Crazy that he is already in kindergarten.

Angela said...

Garrett grew up quick..didn't he.. he looks so cute.. you have to be a proud mommy.. I still cannot believe you have child in kindergarten...

Tanna said...

Oh Jenni, what a handsome little guy. My Pete starts Kindergarten in 3 weeks too, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Does he go in the morning or afternoon?

Michelle said...

What a great day for Garrett! How did you do?

Taryn said...

What a handsome guy! They just act so grown-up now, I don't know where the time has gone.

Shumway Adventures said...

I can't believe all these kids are so big!!!

Ty said...

Jenni, what a crazy time sending your big boy off to school. We start monday here, Davis will be heading to Kindergarten too, so fun. I'm not totally excited about full day though. Good luck with the basketball short thing. I gave up on no basketball shorts to school in 1st grade, now I just try to say you can only wear them a few days a week.

Church Fam said...

okay so it's not Ty who just posteda comment, but me Tiffany. just forgot to change who was logged on. love ya

Jana Sohm said...

He looks so grown up! I love his hair!!

Turia said...

I'm glad Garrett loved school. I think the novelty wore off already for Kaden.. after a week he doesn't want to get up at the crack of dawn... he's too tired to get up today :)

Tristen said...

Those boys are too cute! I wish Cade and Garrett were in the same class.